Fancy Cake Help Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Living In Mercer County Forums » The Towns of Mercer County » Robbinsville » Robbinsville Stores and Restaurants » Fancy Cake Help « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

MMM Cake
Unregistered User
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Hi I am hoping someone can help me. I am looking to for a local bakery that makes fancy cakes like I see on “Ace of Cakes” and “Cake Boss”. I want to bye a cake for a special party but really don’t want to have to drive far with the cake in the car to get to the party. Has anyone found someone around here that makes yummy, fantastic looking cakes????

Jon
Unregistered User
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

How about cupcakes? This shop in Princeton just won "Cupcake Wars" on the Food Network:

http://thehouseofcupcakes.com/home

MMM Cake
Unregistered User
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

I actually saw them on there too. They are strictly cupcakes, I called. I am looking for a big cake. Thanks for the suggestion though!!!

realtroy
Unregistered User
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 01:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Try Sugar and Sunshine in Plainsboro Village Center.

Jon
Unregistered User
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Here is another place to try:

http://www.labellacakery.com/

Cake Fan
Unregistered User
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 05:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

An aside: Sugar and Sunshine is way better than House of Cupcakes based on my personal taste tests :-) Unless H.O.C. has changed their recipe and now makes moister cake than they did a year ago.

Some other "fancy" cake places not too far away:

http://fedoracafe.webs.com/apps/photos/

http://www.chamberswalk.com/html/cakes-cupcakes-etc-b2.html

Or this.
Unregistered User
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 11:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

I'd try Sweet Mama's in Princeton - much better than H.O.C. IMHO.
Also, Olive's does great cakes in Princeton.

Naturalist
Unregistered User
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 02:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Try Whole Foods!!! They are extremely nice and will work with you on what type of design you want. They use pure and natural ingredients and the cakes come out really good!

MMM Cake
Unregistered User
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Thanks so much for all your responses. I have an appointment for a cake tasting or 2 coming up. Hopefully we will have the prettiest cake in town!

Unregistered User
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

@MMM Cake - I'm surprised House of Cupcakes told you they don't do cakes, since they show cakes on their website. Oh well, good luck with whomever you choose!

Suggestion
Unregistered User
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Try thelittlecakepatch.com. Go to the website to see an array of cakes she's made. I believe she lives in Robbinsville.

The Real Cake Boss
Unregistered User
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2011 - 08:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

As a cake snob, Sugar and Sunshine has the absolute best cakes around... however, they are not cheap. Our friends bought a 10" cake and a dozen cupcakes and spent over $100. They also have many other goodies there too.

MMM Cake
Unregistered User
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2011 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Guest... I was shocked too. They said they only make cupcake cakes. which is a conglomeration of cupcakes put together to look like a cake.

Boss, Sugar and Sunshine were very nice on the phone. They make cakes but not "Cake boss" like sculpted cakes.

I am getting such an education trying to do this. I wish I had the talent to open a business! The price of these cakes are outrageous, but worth it I am sure!

The Real Cake Boss
Unregistered User
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2011 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

I was just following up on Realtroy's post about the Sugar and Sunshine bakery and how good it is, but no, they don't do specialized or sculpted cakes etc. sorry I didn't mention it. But for any other occasion, think of them if you need a cake... or if you're in the area, just pop in for a cupcake, which is about $2... it's worth it...

eat better
Unregistered User
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2011 - 05:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

I used to enjoy cheesecake but now that the 1st lady pointed out how obese we all are and we need to eat better, I'll pass.

trythem
Unregistered User
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 08:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Mendokers Bakery in Jamesburg. Best bakery around!!

try them again
Unregistered User
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 08:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

2nd for Mendokers, they are top notch.

Loving Robbinsville
Unregistered User
Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2011 - 12:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Mendokers (sp?) is too far away! go to Take 5! ! ! :-) best quality around and the best location in Central New Jersey. lots of parking , great service, great variety, nothing but happy smiles. feels good to spread the word, go tell your friends.

Yum
Unregistered User
Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2011 - 05:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

if you are looking for an Ice Cream cake go to MaggieMoos in WTC. Ask for Katie we get every cake there - They decorate for free! She is awesome and the cakes are amazing

trythemtrythem
Unregistered User
Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2011 - 08:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Mendokers (spelled correctly) in Jamesburg has the best cakes around. They are contracted with many local hotels and it is worth the drive to Jamesburg. This person obviously wants a special cake...

MMM Cake
Unregistered User
Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2011 - 09:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Thanks for the suggestion of Mendokers, they were the first ones that I called. While they do make extra yummy delicious cakes, they do not make fancy cakes. For this event we are placing the priority on looks, not taste, though I am sure anyplace we pick can make a delicious cake.

MMM Cake's Husband
Unregistered User
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2011 - 01:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Style, based on your post we have become a society that is really quick to criticize yet doesn't take a moment to actually consider what they are saying.

I know it wasn't mentioned but this will be a party for a newborn girl, not a White House state dinner. This is not a party that will be judged on the delicate crumb of the cake, or the subtle sweetness of the frosting. It will be remembered for being FUN.

If youhad paid any attention to my wife's post, right before yours, she said that Mendokers was the first bakery we called, based on the quality of their cakes. They told us they do not make cakes in the style that we are looking for. Darn it, there goes that idea.

She also said that the priority was on looks, not the only consideration. She also made a point that anyplace we pick will make a delicious cake.

So, lets do a little math exercise. Lets say we are looking at two factors, looks and taste, each are worth 10 points and a cake can get a total score of 20 points.

These figures are arbitrary yet demonstrative of my point.

Mendokers can make a 10 tasting cake but only deliver an 8 on looks. Thats an 18 point cake...a very good score.

Now, lets say a different baker can only deliver an 8 on taste, but a 10 on looks. If I check the old abacus that adds up to 18. Holy Cow!!! another good score.

Seems like we have a tie. What to do, what to do? Oh, right, Its a party for an infant, lets go for the pretty pink cake with beautiful flowers and ribbons on it.

I'll save you a piece if you like.

MMM Cake's Husband
Unregistered User
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2011 - 01:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Oh, style, I want to be sure that I can recognize you when you come for your slice of our beautiful and delicious cake.

You will be the one wearing sackcloth, correct? Certainly a simple shapeless garment will protect you from the elements and exposure as well as more stylish garments.

I would hate to think that you chose style over substance.

MMM Cake
Unregistered User
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2011 - 07:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

First of all thanks to my husband for being my defender.

Secondly, Style over Substance, did you read my original question? I explained what I was I looking for an “Ace of Cakes” or “Cake Boss” style cake. Not a plain tasty square or circle. I wanted something that is special looking.

Finally, there were lots of suggestions above from people. They all think that the places they suggested are not only pretty but delicious. I called every place that that was suggested above and made my decision based on my perfect cake for my event. I was flattered that all these nice people took time out of their day to answer my question. No one needed you to add your two cents. There was no need to turn such a nice friendly informational post into something that was ugly.

rude people
Unregistered User
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2011 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Totally agree with MMM and her husband, its best to just ignore the negative posts and not get into it with them.

I think 99.9% of us get what you were going for. I am a big fan of the show "cake boss" which puts style first. But I bet your their cakes taste good too.

Back to the discussion, I am a Mendokers fan as well, but there are other good choices as you see.

MMM Cake
Unregistered User
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2011 - 01:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Hi rude and thanks for the support. Just so you know I called over to Carlo's Bakery (which I am sure know) is the Cake Boss Bakery. They quoted me $800.00 for the smallest cake they make, before you even pick your upgrades. Needless to say that is why I decided to take it local.

Costly Carlo
Unregistered User
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2011 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

I always wondered how much those cakes cost, I figure a fortune. It looks like I was right! It is a good show though.

Mastoris Diner down on 130 makes some good cakes, but probably nothing fancy looking.

cake roadtrip
Unregistered User
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2011 - 05:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

They're pricey, but I bought a small (7"?), nicely decorated, fondant covered cake at Carlos from the display case for about $20 (Pink with dots and large bow). They took it upstairs and wrote a birthday message on too. Mauro come down a couple times while we waited. Expect to wait in line outside. The cake part was actually pretty good. Fondant is really inedible though. I wouldn't go there just to pick something up, but it was a fun family trip if you watch the show. Go before they move to their new location.

Good luck with your cake.

Didn't need to...
Unregistered User
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2011 - 08:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Style - you just really didn't need to make any comment at all. It shows what kind of person you are... not a nice one.

Here is a fun, informative post that doesn't include politics, bashing, debates etc. and there just HAD to be someone who was ignorant enough to make an immature remark... I, or one, happened to appreciate the dissertation of MMM Cake's hubby, for making you look like an a$$...

MMM Cake's Husband
Unregistered User
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2011 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Style...I am absolutely overly sensitive to people who inject themselves into a nice, friendly conversation for no reason other than to be critical.

Did you even have a point other than to be negative?

When I responded with the rationale for our priorities, which most people would agree is reasonable, you responded with an insult.

A nicer response would be "I see your rationale but I don't agree with you", but, that is beyond you.

So, tell me troll, what purpose do you serve?

By the way, high quality cakes are good substitutes for one another. Certainly shapeless clothing would be a viable alternative to more stylish clothing.

The horse and buggy is not a reasonable alternative to cars so you even failed with your snarky comeback.

Well done.

System Moderator
Username: System_moderator

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2011 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Please keep the discussion to the topic of the original post. All other messages will be deleted. Thank you.

Real Cake B oss
Unregistered User
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2011 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

MMM Cake, check the yellow pages and see if maybe there is an individual who advertises who may do cakes that you're looking for on a smaller scale, meaning, not in a bakery type setting... Somebody may have the talent to create what you're looking for, but may not necessarily have a business or storefront, and may just do it on an individual basis...

Or do a Google search or maybe look on facebook for our area...

Real Cake Boss
Unregistered User
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2011 - 08:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

I asked around and one of my friends suggested Chrissy's Creations. E-mail is dreamtodessert@gmail.com. Here is a Facebook link... I bet this person would suit your needs...

http://www.facebook.com/dreamtodessert?ref=nf&sk=wall#!/dreamtodessert?sk=wall

MMM Cake's Husband
Unregistered User
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 11:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Thanks to everyone for their advice on bakeries for our daughter's party. We used Jon's suggestion and have gone with La Bella Cakery. Pam does amazing work and could not be a more delightful person to do business with.

Oh, and for my good friend Style Over Substance, she provided us with samples of 8 different cakes and they were all absolutely drop dead delicious.

(Message edited by admin on April 08, 2011)

Add Your Message Here
Please leave the password field blank as there is no registration required. By posting you agree to follow the "Rules for Use" which can be found on the main forum menu. Enter a username, which can be you real name or a screen name. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration