Sidewalks and trees Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Living In Mercer County Forums » The Towns of Mercer County » Robbinsville » Sidewalks and trees « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Qaz123
Username: Qaz123

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 - 06:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

The Mess Press covered the township meeting where the sidewalk damage caused by tree roots was discussed. There is this nugget from the township attorney in response to a resident suggesting that in some cases the sidewalks could be removed and the trees preserved.

”From my perspective, if a sidewalk is there now a sidewalk has to be put back because that’s what was approved by the Planning Board at the time the development was built.”

This implies decisions by all past planning boards are perfect and need not be revisited based on changes to the township which of course is nonsense.

How about the planning board decision to jamb a tree in the 3' space between a sidewalk and a curb? That one is not turning out too well.

Survey Says...
Unregistered User
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 - 09:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Just because one resident wants all the sidewalks removed, doesn't mean that it is a good idea. Remove the trees and plant new trees that are more appropriate and preserves the sidewalks.

There was a survey and that is what majority of the residents want done.

Qaz123
Username: Qaz123

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

That is what 26 residents want (46% of the 56 respondents to the survey). That is far less than the majority of residents.

If I knew there was a survey, I would have responded.

SmallTownCharm
Unregistered User
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 - 07:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

So far the tree/sidewalk issue is the only issue i've heard on this board that sounds like an issue any other (established) town in the area has had to deal with. this tree/sidewalk problem is town center's toddler stage of development. all towns have this problem when trees are planted where the were in this case. if the builder/planning board/mayor and most importantly RESIDENTS let this happen... they are all to blame. uneven sidewalks add character and a graet place to jump your bike when playing outside. leave the uneven sidewalks (and trees) as they are and become a real neighborhood.

Boo
Unregistered User
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2012 - 07:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Small town I agree with you. Sadly there are too many lawyers in the world and the bike jumps create a liability the lawyers don't like.

whatabout
Unregistered User
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 03:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Who is expected to fix sidewalks that were improperly installed? Is the town going to handle that too? Sharbell or trees, it doesn't matter. It's a safety hazard.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration