No "Mr. RHS" Show Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Living In Mercer County Forums » The Towns of Mercer County » Robbinsville » No "Mr. RHS" Show « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Want Mr.RHS
Unregistered User
Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 11:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Do not understand why the high school "Mr. RHS" show is cancelled. This has been an annual tradition since the school opened. It has been well attended and the students & community enjoy it. It also brings in a fair amount as a fund raiser. Why take away something that is productive and the students want to do. My son said it was cancelled and no reason given.

Gifted
Unregistered User
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 08:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Good, it's such a stupid idea. Surely all the gifted children in Robbinsville can come up with a more interesting idea to raise money.
It's not a tradition. Our HS hasn't been open long enough to make it a tradition.

discuss
Unregistered User
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

The "no reason given" part is what is bothersome. Obviously there is a reason. If it's a good one, it's better to discuss with young men and women who are about to graduate than to treat them like 1st-graders: "It's canceled because I said so."

qope
Unregistered User
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

School is a dictatorship - get used to it.

huh?
Unregistered User
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Really? You act like this is going to ruin their life.
They aren't doing it. Your child is not entitled to an explanation. You can teach your child to respect authority or be entitled.

Qaz123
Username: Qaz123

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

I think the original poster was looking for a reason (good or otherwise) based on the popularity of event, not the personal impact to their child.

I is/was a fun event, fostered school spirit, and raised money.

I'll count "Gifted" and "huh?" as two who don't think this is important.

Mr. RHS
Unregistered User
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

You said it best Qaz.

Why eliminate something that is fun, student centered, has been an annual event since the school opening, raises necessary funds and just put the kabash on it with NO reason for the current class???

aretha
Unregistered User
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

To "Huh," respect is important but it is also earned. When a hugely popular event is canceled and high school seniors -- soon-to-be young adults -- are given no reason, it has exactly the opposite effect of teaching them to respect authority.

Oh well
Unregistered User
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

This has nothing to do with their education. If the school says no, deal.

Sad
Unregistered User
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 01:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Disappointment is a part of life that many kids don't understand.

3reich
Unregistered User
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Mindlessly accepting orders - the Nazi's would be proud.

Get to the bottom
Unregistered User
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 05:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

The problem, as I understand it, was a lack of interest from the boys. Not enough boys wanted to be in it this year. The school didn't cancel it. Blame the kids for not being interested.

Get it right
Unregistered User
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 06:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Don't blame he kids congratulate them for not wanting to be part of this ridiculous night.

Very Sad
Unregistered User
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 07:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

I was just reading the Messenger Press looking for the date of Mr. RHS. I looked forward to it each year. I cannot believe it was canceled. It was always a fun night for the seniors and the families. It was a fundraiser that you didn't have to buy something to eat or wear. It was entertainment!!

2 cents
Unregistered User
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 07:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

To the original poster- I would be looking for an explanation from the school if i were you.. Call them up, if this is something your kids was interested in. No sports were cancelled, and i've seen the very active student participation, so it wasn't because of lack of interest. I'm sure there are a lot of kids disappointed.

Mr. RHS
Unregistered User
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Very Sad - my son attended since freshmen year and was hoping to be a part of it this year with many of his friends. I find it hard to believe that there is lack of student interest. Maybe to some this is silly, but my kid enjoyed it as did many others.

SwimMom
Unregistered User
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2012 - 07:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

"Get to the bottom" My son, a student in the school, told me the same thing

C'mon now
Unregistered User
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2012 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Its amazing how many people jumped to the conclusion that the school district cancelled the event as opposed to recognizing that you can't force kids to volunteer for things like this. Its a young HS. Some traditions stick, others don't. A couple years ago they couldn't get enough interest in the junior prom and it was cancelled. Now its back. Things like this are going to happen and its nobody's fault.

Junior Mom
Unregistered User
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2012 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

I have two questions, 1) does this mean it will be offered next year or is this the end of the show for good and 2) so how is the money made up for the fund raising. I thought it was given to the prom funds, does this mean there will be a shortage of money for the cause it supported?

Very Sad
Unregistered User
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2012 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

I cannot imagine that there wasn't enough class participation. The class sizes were smaller when the HS opened up.

Days gone
Unregistered User
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2012 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Oh my god. With all that is going on in the world today, you are worried about a stupid school function. Face the facts. The school has grown up. Gone are the days of pushy parents pressuring the kids to have this ridiculous event.

Days return
Unregistered User
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2012 - 07:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Most high schools have this event as a standard gig. No parental pressure at all. Good clean fun, raises money, kids are entertaining & entertained. Sorry to see a positive thing stop.
Wondering why, would like the real reason. Heck, last years winner is the son of a current BOE member.

Days gone
Unregistered User
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2012 - 07:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

There's your answer. Last years winner was the boe kid. That's why there is no interest this year.

Days return
Unregistered User
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2012 - 09:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

highly doubtful!

tomorrowsfurture
Unregistered User
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2012 - 10:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Days gone- Winning was not the issue with any of the boys or girls who took part. It is called School Spirit and the kids having a great time, before they more on in life.

Next Year???
Unregistered User
Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 03:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

will it be back next year?

Younger Son
Unregistered User
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2012 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

My older son was in this show and there were so many kids who wanted to participate that you had to be "chosen" to represent a certain month. I find it hard to believe that they could not get 12 students who wanted to participate. Something is weird with this whole thing. Whatever happened this year, I hope the show is resumed next year and that this is just a fluke. Maybe poor planning?

Days gone
Unregistered User
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2012 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

And using the word "chosen" is more good reason the show had no interest this year.

Endthis
Unregistered User
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2012 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

What if administration said they felt it was not something they cared for? Would that have been ok?
I am guessing that no matter what reason was given, parents would have been angry.
Why don't you stop being upset over this event and show your child that there are other ways to have fun, show school spirit, and raise money.

Right to Question
Unregistered User
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2012 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

It was good enough for five years - why stop now? are you stopping the spring play? are you stopping any spring sports programs? I think not.

Other schools do this annually - why can't Rville?

C'mon now
Unregistered User
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2012 - 02:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Umm, what part of this don't you get? The school didn't cancel it. There wasn't enough interest by the Senior boys. As a result, they stopped it. And, as a matter of fact, sports programs are cancelled all the time due to lack of interest. I think they killed the freshman football team a couple years back bc they couldn't get enough kids to play. Its not a big deal. If next year's class wants to have it, it'll be back. Sorry if your son won't be able to participate this year, but don't blame the school for the kids lack of interest.

Justwow
Unregistered User
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2012 - 06:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Wait, are you comparing this event to sports and drama? An event vs kids who work hard all season, practicing and preparing and learning about team work, is the same?

Are you saying a talentless show for fun is hard work?

I have heard it all.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration