Amazon warehouse coming the robbinsvi... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Living In Mercer County Forums » The Towns of Mercer County » Robbinsville » Amazon warehouse coming the robbinsville? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

BookWorm
Unregistered User
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

I guess this would be a good thing since amazon is huge.

http://www.nj.c om/mercer/index .ssf/2012/05/am azon_to_build_t wo_warehouses.h tml

Qaz123
Username: Qaz123

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 05:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

The down side, Amazon is going to start collecting NJ sales tax for items purchased and delivered to a NJ address.

amazon
Unregistered User
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

So long sales tax free purchases from amazon.com once they build in NJ.

No Taxation
Unregistered User
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 07:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Except that it would mean having to pay sales tax on Amazon purchases.

C'mon now
Unregistered User
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

The tax ratables for the town would be amazing and really help all of us. Our warehouse location is prime right off Exit 7A. Hope the town is working OT to make this happen.

U2M
Unregistered User
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

A 2 million square foot warehouse would pay roughly $720,000 in local tax a year

Some towns would offer to rename themselves Amazon NJ for money like that.

Offer TC south and put the solar farm on top. Truck access out through 130.

Reed
Unregistered User
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2012 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Whether or not they actually build the warehouses in NJ.

No Taxation
Unregistered User
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2012 - 01:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

@C'mon now: Great...so a few thousand residents in Robbinsville get some marginal benefit from tax ratables, but the rest of the residents in the state now have to pay sales tax on all their Amazon purchases. How does that "really help all of us?"

I'd rather keep my tax-free shopping intact.

Jon
Unregistered User
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2012 - 03:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Well, since they've already come to an agreement with the state and plan on building a warehouse in NJ, which will put the end to tax-free shopping in NJ, wouldn't you rather it be in Robbinsville vs somewhere else like at Exit 8A?

Inanutshell
Unregistered User
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2012 - 03:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

You're supposed to be paying tax. It's not "tax-free shopping". It's just that no one does what they are supposed to do and reports it.

An "expert" seems to think there's no chance they come to R'ville: “I think it would be laughable if it came into Mercer County,” Sussman said. “These guys want big boxes and they want to be close to the Turnpike. Cranbury would make sense. It’s right off of Exit 8A. That’s where all the giant boxes are. There’s really cheap rent. So that makes sense, but, certainly not Mercer County. There’s no place to put it.”

C'mon now
Unregistered User
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2012 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Inanutshell -- you quote Andrea Sussman from Nexus Properties, but ignore the quote from Michael G. McGuinness, CEO of the New Jersey chapter of NAIOP, the commercial real estate development association, who addresses Robbinsville and Hamilton as prime locations for these warehouse. Besides having the space in the warehouse park which is right off of Exit 7A, Robbinsville is perfect for this.

“I think those two townships are ideally located for these sites,” McGuinness said. “Those two towns in Mercer County lend themselves real well to this, because they are in the center of the state, and you can get the workers. You have to have enough access to employees. That’s something that has to be figured out.”

Why are you so down on this town?

selfishness
Unregistered User
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2012 - 08:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

It's tough enough for small business playing by the rules to survive without giants like amazon luring everyone with basically illegal "tax-free" shopping. But no one cares as long as they can "steal" a few dollars. When you wonder where the local businesses went, look in the mirror for the reason they're gone.

really? Please.
Unregistered User
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2012 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Do any of you really think our property tax would go down at all, regardless of how much amazon were to pay the township if this happens? Really. Please.

U2M
Unregistered User
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2012 - 11:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

The warehouse park near 7A contributed $6 million in local taxes in 2011, plus what is saved because houses aren't in that sewer service area, all while requiring very few services. That covers 12% of the local tax bill. If not for the warehouse park, I would pay over $1800 more a year in taxes. So yes Amazon would save me money. Really.

Qaz123

Post Number: 70
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2012 - 05:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

I buy goods on-line and avoid paying NJ's high sales tax (i.e. keeping more of my own money in my pocket), and to you this is stealing?

NJ could help out it's business to compete against on-line retailer by reducing it's sales tax to 3%. Since sales tax is the most regressive of all taxes, this would help out the poor more than anyone.

Are they being selfish for wanting to keep more of their money or should they run to NJ state and ask for a handout?

2 cents
Unregistered User
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 07:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

I will miss tax free Amazon shopping but i'm glad it's here and not in hamilton or somewhere else.. This is a big win for our little town.

What a guy
Unregistered User
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

So, Qaz, since NJ won't help out the small businesses in the state, you can then rationalize screwing them over...so you can keep more money in your pocket. You're a real nice guy...and a great example of the selfishness that is hurting this country so much. It's nice to see your interest in helping the poor, but I think you're the kind of person that really helps no one but himself. I hope you are not in need of help someday...karma can be a b*tch.

Qaz123

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2012 - 08:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

So when a small business owner needs a product, they buy it from another local small business at a higher price instead of going to BJ's, Costco's, or Home Dept?

When a small business owner leases a car in the company's name and give the car and a company credit car to fill it with gas to his wife who has nothing to do with the business, to be used as a business write off, I'm supposed to feel compassion for the besieged small business owner?

When a landscaper has employees off the books that he does not contribute FICA or Workers Comp for, I should shed a tear?

When a home improvement contractor asks me to make the check out to CASH, so he can keep it off his books,...

Small business owners are the masters of tax avoidance.

It's really very simple. The small businesses in the state compete for my consumer dollars with their services and products and succeed when they provide value.

TaxMan
Unregistered User
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Funny how people think they are getting free-tax. When you do your taxes you are suppose to pay Use Tax which is the same rate as Sales Tax in NJ on any retail purchases made out of state which includes online purchases. Business will get caught real fast if they don't pay. Consumers not so much and most don't put it on their taxes or keep track. Doesn't mean you don't have to pay and in a way you could consider it stealing or a free ride.

verde
Unregistered User
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Those paragons of virtue, the small business owners, buy products from online retailers sales tax free and can't wait to submit their tax form to pay the Use Taxes for these purchase.

Nice joke.

C'mon now
Unregistered User
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

Anybody know who is handling the pitch to Amazon for the warehouses to be located in Robbinsville? Economic Development Coordinator? Township Council? Mayor? Anybody?

dfgh
Unregistered User
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Admin only

It's going to be a dog fight between Exit 8A, Exit 7A, and Exit 7, all battling with incentives to get this building.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration